$1,000.00 in total prize money!
First place entry to be published in
Palm Springs Life Magazine.
*Celebrity Judge: Maggie Downs, M.F.A. Former newspaper reporter, currently freelance writer and marketing consultant.
Submissions accepted beginning January 1, 2015
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS MARCH 9, 2015
CONTEST IS OPEN FOR PSWG Members* only.
*If you are a non-member and would like to enter the contest, please fill out an online Membership Application to qualify for entry. Membership fee must be recieved before submission.
If you fail to comply with the rules you will be disqualified. Disqualified applicants and non-winners are not reimbursed application fees.
All Members must login to enable registration and complete the short story online payment application.
Entry Fee: $25.00 first story entry ; $20.00 per additional story entry.
1. Each submission must be accompanied by a contest entry form.
2. Online Submission Only! Submit story/stories as Word document(s). Any other file format will be disqualified.
3. Format: double-spaced, 12 point, Times Roman or Times New Roman font.
Word Count: 3,500 word maximum including title.
4. Must appear on each page:
5. Author’s name MUST NOT appear anywhere on the manuscript.
- title of story
- page number
- word count of manuscript
6. Short Story manuscript submissions must be an original, unpublished (print or electronic), work of fiction and an un-posted, non-previous prize winner.
7. Entry fee payments via PayPal or Guest of PayPal must be paid at time of Registration/Application. Check payments will be accepted. Mail checks to PO Box 947, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270-0947. Checks must be received prior to competition deadline.
8. Email your story or stories as a word doc attachment to Short Story Chairperson Kathy Bjork at
At contest conclusion, manuscripts will be deleted. Critique of your work will not be provided.
Judging: The stories are judged on plot, setting, character development, use of dialogue, and mechanics. Participating writers may consult the Judging Criteria Guide for reference.
Questions? Please contact Kathy Bjork: