Annual Memoir Contest for the
Memoirs used to be from people setting down their memories in their autumn years. Not so any more.
A Memoir story can be about coming of age, relationship with a special person that had a huge influence on your life, overcoming (or dealing with) adversity, your career, maybe travel...whatever you want to share, we're waiting for your story!
Memoirs are judged on plot, setting, character development, use of dialogue, and mechanics. (Be sure to follow all instructions.)
Tell us your story!
Send your best work - three prizes will be awarded:
Enter submissions starting August 1, 2019
Deadline: Midnight September 15, 2019
Contest is open to current PSWG Members only
Not a member? Become one!
It's Going To Be A Great Year At The Guild!
Membership fee must be received prior to contest submission.
Sue William Silverman
Sue William Silverman’s most recent work of creative nonfiction is The Pat Boone Fan Club: My Life as a White Anglo-Saxon Jew (University of Nebraska Press), which was a finalist in Foreword Reviews IndieFab Book of the Year Award. Her first memoir, Because I Remember Terror, Father, I Remember You (University of Georgia Press), won the Association of Writers and Writers Program award, while another book, Love Sick: One Woman’s Journey through Sexual Addiction (W. W. Norton), is also a Lifetime TV original movie. Her craft book is Fearless Confessions: A Writer’s Guide to Memoir (Georgia) and a second poetry collection is If the Girl Never Learns. As a professional speaker, Sue addresses such issues as child abuse prevention, addiction, #MeToo and women’s rights. She has appeared on such shows as The View, Anderson Cooper – 360, and PBS Books. She teaches in the low-residency MFA in Writing program at Vermont College of Fine Arts.
All members must log in to enable registration
and complete the online contest entry form.
Contest Entry: $25.00 non-refundable
Submission requires an online contest entry form and subsequent payment. Online Submission only! Submissions are to be emailed as attachments in MS Word Document (.doc or .docx). Any other file format will be disqualified.
- All entries must be formatted as WORD documents, double spaced in 12 point Times New Roman font.
- Manuscripts must have 1 inch margins.
- Maximum word count 2,500 words
- Appearing in each page header: Title of manuscript.
- Pages must be numbered in lower right hand corner.
- All manuscripts must be original, unpublished work.
- Author’s name MUST NOT appear anywhere on manuscript.
- Submissions must be an original, unpublished (print or electronic) written work and a non-previous prize winner.
- Contest Entry Fee payments via AffiniPay online payment system must be paid at time of completing Contest Entry Form. You do not need to create an AffiniPay account in order to use your credit card or paypal account.
- Submission requires an online contest entry form and subsequent payment.
Online Submission only! Submissions are to be emailed as attachments in MS Word Document (.doc or .docx). Any other file format will be disqualified.
Please read all ten points and note: Failure to comply with the rules will result in all your hard work ending up in the discard pile. Disqualified applicants and non- winners are not reimbursed application fees.
At contest conclusion, submissions will be deleted. Critique of your work is not provided for this contest.
How to fill out online registration:
Step 1: To enable registration, please be sure you have successfully logged in with your email and password.
Step 2: Click "Register" button, fill out online entry form and follow prompts for payment. Credit card payment is available and is immediate.
Step 3: submit your entry to email@example.com
Questions? Contact Kathy Weyer: firstname.lastname@example.org