June Writing Lab
How to Travel the World—then Write!
Guest Speaker: Kathy Strong
Kathy Strong has been a travel writer for more than 30 years, having written or contributed to more than 20 travel guide books and countless magazine features, covering all areas of the world. Her former books sold in bookstores nationally are: Southern California: Off the Beaten Path; Recommended Bed & Breakfasts: California; Driving the Pacific Coast: California; Driving the Pacific Coast: Washington and Oregon; The Seattle Guidebook; and Recommended Island Inns: The Caribbean.
Her newspaper column, GOING MY WAY, appeared in the Gannett/USA Today newspaper Travel section every Sunday in Southern California for a decade. Strong also was a regular contributor to USA Today’s travel magazine, “GoEscape.” She has also been a contributor to Forbes Travel Guide, USA Today weekly magazine and AARP magazine.
Through the years, Strong has been a frequent talk show guest on both radio and television, recently appearing on “The Today Show.” Strong’s latest travel reveal is a new online travel website: PS Wish You Were Here Travel that covers both national and international travel news and explorations.
This first edition of Secret Southern California is a culmination of the native Southern Californian’s knowledge and love for the off-the-beaten-path treasures of the southern part of the state, as well as “secret, authentic” finds at every turn.
- Travel Guidebook Author/Speaker: Secret Southern California: A Guide to Unique Places
- The Desert Sun: Magazine Editor: Desert Magazine; 92260 magazine; and LQ magazine; Travel Columnist “Going My Way”; Business Columnist; Editorial Board member; Custom Publications Editor
- Travel Guidebook Author, Globe Pequot Press: Recommended Bed & Breakfasts: California; Southern California Off the Beaten Path; Driving the Pacific Coast: California; Driving the Pacific Coast: Washington & Oregon; The Seattle Guidebook; Recommended Island Inns: the Caribbean
- Lifestyle/Travel writer: USA Today Weekend; USA Today Go Escape; Palm Springs Life; AARP magazine
- Former Editorial Manager/Consultant, the Greater Palm Springs Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB)
Kathy Strong will generously donate her speaking fee to the Palm Springs Writers Guild. Thank you Kathy!
Kathy Strong shares her personal path to her forty years in travel writing, from travel books to articles and columns. Learn the basics of combining your passion for travel with your creative writing skills. Whether your goal is creating commercial travel articles and books or just chronicling your own travels in a journal, jumpstart your travel writing career in this two-hour lab. Topics covered include:
- types of travel writing
- press trip etiquette
- finding your travel writing “voice”
- pitching your stories
- following article guidelines
- working with tourism boards
- researching your trip
- developing a presence in the travel writing world
- and more!
Zoom Online Meeting
To receive a full refund minus a $25 cancellation processing fee, attendees must cancel their registration 5 days before the event. No refunds will be given after that time.
You will receive an invitation to the Zoom online meeting after you have registered and payment is complete. Meeting begins at 1:00 p.m. and ends at 3:00 p.m.
Ready to become a member of the Palm Springs Writers Guild? Please click here.
Event Contact: Ariella Moon